; CFC Middle East: Simon says carry the Cross

Sunday, June 24

Simon says carry the Cross



Matthew 27:32 “As they were going out, they met a man from Cyrene, named Simon, and they forced him to carry the cross.”

Luke 23:26 “As they led him away, they seized Simon from Cyrene, who was on his way in from the country, and put the cross on him and made him carry it behind Jesus.”


Mark 15:21 “A certain man from Cyrene, Simon, the father of Alexander and Rufus, was passing by on his way in from the country, and they forced him to carry the cross.”


I used to find Simon's role in the Passion a little random. The impression I get from the verses is that he was simply minding his own business, mixed in with the rest of the crowd, when he was suddenly pulled in to help carry Jesus’ cross. Put yourself in his place and think about how you would feel. The use of the word "forced" in the verses make me think that he was not the happiest or the most willing volunteer at that moment.

I always just assumed Jesus was getting visibly tired and the soldiers didn’t want him to die before they could crucify him so they pulled in Simon. But then I wondered, Jesus would have been perfectly capable of carrying out his act of salvation for the world by himself, he may be human, but he is God, that couldn't have been the reason. So maybe God allowed the soldiers to pick someone from the crowd to help carry his cross to demonstrate that even though God can and will always come through for us, He designs it in a way that requires us to play a part too.

It’s common in this community to claim victories. We are constantly reminded of God’s goodness and faithfulness and we rest secure in the knowledge that God always comes out victorious. But Simon’s role in the most crucial act of victory that God planned shows that even though God is capable of saving the world by himself, He still calls us to share in the service with him.

Like Simon, we may have just been pulled into service “randomly." Like Simon, we may question "Why me?! Out of everyone here, why me?" Nevertheless, we have been called, not just to share in the victory that will surely come, but also to share in the journey including the sacrifices that come with it. 

Many theologians believe** that Satan broke away from God's kingdom because he didn't want to participate in God's plan to leave the majesty of Heaven and deign to become human. When I was around seven, I remember being told that the equivalent of God taking on human form was like me taking on worm form, times ten! Ten is a big deal for a seven-year-old. I probably would have reacted the same way: "God, wachutalkinbout?!" In fact, Peter too said something like "Aint gonna happen, Bro." when Jesus started talking about His Passion, and Jesus rebuked him, saying "Get behind me, Satan!" Archbishop Fulton Sheen (whom I have a mad crush on, God rest his soul) also said "The mark of Satan is the hatred for the cross, the denial of suffering." 

The church teaches us to embrace suffering that is brought on by our love for God, because it is in these moments of suffering that we are united with Christ's Passion. It is in these moments that we are Simon, walking behind Jesus, talking on the weight of the cross, sharing in His pain, seeing Jesus in front of us, his back drenched with sweat, blood, and dirt, no trace of His heavenly kingship, and I am reminded that whatever it is I am giving up for my service, it is worm-like compared to the majesty He gave up out of His love for me. It makes His sacrifice that much more meaningful, and it makes the flippant way I treat His gift of salvation that much more heart-breaking. I have to remember that I love Him, and any moment that allows me to be this close to Him is a moment to be thankful for, a moment of joy even. 

That painful walk to Calvary led to the greatest victory the wold has ever known and will ever come to know. I pray for the grace to never forget this. In our darkest moments, I pray that we are always reminded that not only are we walking with Christ, but that glorious resurrection, Heaven, awaits at the end of it. Jesus, please grant me not just the strength to carry my cross, but the passion to embrace it.

1 Peter 4:12-13 "Beloved, do not be surprised that a trial by fire is occurring among you, as if something strange were happening to you. But rejoice to the extent that you share in the sufferings of Christ, so that when his glory is revealed you may also rejoice exultantly."

- Shae Vencilao, SFC Qatar

No comments:

Post a Comment